Here’s our review of Week 8 of the NFL season:
Player of the Week: Calvin Johnson (DET) – 14 receptions for 329 yards (2nd most in a single game all-time) and 1 touchdown.
Honorable Mentions: Drew Brees (NO), Andy Dalton (CIN), Andre Ellington (ARI), Marvin Jones (CIN), Rashad Johnson (ARI)
Goat of the Week: Matt Ryan (ATL)
Honorable Mentions: Geno Smith (NYJ), Kellen Clemens (STL), Thad Lewis (BUF)
– Our Player of the Week was not a difficult selection, and was easily the main storyline of Week 8. Calvin “Megatron” Johnson was targeted 16 times and caught 14 of those passes for a total of 329 yards – including a 87 yard reception – and one touchdown. Johnson’s team, though, only barely pulled off the win over the Dallas Cowboys, 31-30, to improve to 5-3 on the year. The Cowboys fell to 4-4 as they ran for only 62 yards and Tony Romo completed less than 50% of his passes for a total of 206 yards.
– The Chiefs are still undefeated. They’re 8-0. Let that sink in. Again, this one was close against a subpar Browns team who fell to 3-5 with the loss, but the Chiefs possessed a balanced offensive attack (195 passing yards/136 rushing yards), zero turnovers, and held the Browns to 17 points. The Chiefs will look to improve to 9-0 this Sunday as they visit Orchard Park to take on the Bulls.
– The 49ers and Jaguars played in London, and the final score was about what you expected as San Francisco won 42-10 to improve to 6-2, and Jacksonville is still winless. At first glance, you would see that Colin Kaepernick only had 10 completed passes for 164 yards. But the Niners brought an impressive 221 rushing yards & four touchdowns on the ground. Justin Blackmon of the Jaguars only caught 4 of the 10 passes thrown his way for 31 yards and no touchdowns. Both teams have a bye in Week 9.
– The Cincinnati Bengals completely destroyed the New York Jets, 49-9. Half of Marvin Jones’ catches resulted in touchdowns – 4 total – and Andy Dalton threw one more for a sum of 5. Geno Smith was sacked three times and threw two interceptions and the Jets didn’t have anyone run for more than 35 yards. The score was an accurate reflection here, the Jets got destroyed. Cincinnati will play Thursday night at Miami, and the Jets will host the Saints Sunday afternoon.
– Peyton Manning threw 3 interceptions and lost a fumble…and the Broncos still won 45-21 over the Washington Redskins to improve to 7-1 and remain undefeated at home. Knowshon Moreno had a big game for Denver, running for 44 yards on 14 carries as well as 6 catches for 89 yards and a touchdown. Oh, and the Redskind only had 154 passing yards and threw two picks. That’s really bad, in case you didn’t know. The Broncos are off in Week 9, while the Redskins play host to the Chargers.